Saturday, September 14, 2013

Summer Reading Book: Skinned by Robin Wasserman

     The book "Skinned", which is now titled "Frozen", by Robin Wasserman, is about a girl Lia Kahn, who was saved from an accident by The Download- which basically downloads everything in your brain into a computerized human body. Although she has her memories back, she doesn't look the same. She looks completely different, making it hard for everyone to accept "the new her". That makes it hard for her to adjust and puts more pressure on her to act "normal" since she is no longer human.  But  how can she when (SPOILER ALERT) her sister stole her best friends and her boyfriend. Now, the only people she feels understands her is the other skinners or mechs like her and Auden, an org or human who is fascinated by her new body. That is until (SPOILER ALERT) he land in a injury himself and loses the option to become a mech due to past medical problems. And to top it all off, he blames Lia for this happening to him. 
     At first, Auden wants to be like Lia. He likes how she is unique and her new abilities. In my opinion, I think that he liked her because he knew how it feels to be different and weird. He wanted to be her because he was tired of being himself. Both of their families regret them and are ashamed of them. The reason for is that they are ashamed of Lia and Auden is because they are too different. Auden thinks that being a mech is a miracle and he praises Lia about it- well, at the beginning, that is. He just wants to get away from his life and his own problems and I assume that he thinks that if he could be anything or anyone else, it'd be better than walking in his own shoes.
    When he realizes that being a mech isn't as pretty as it seems, he blames Lia although his actions led to him being that way. In my opinion, he sort of seems paranoid and I sort of hate him which means that Wasserman did a good job on the book.  One thing that I like is how Auden thinks he knows what he want and regrets it when he gets it. I think that everyone can relate to that and it's a very important message. Also, another message that is important is how we should be thankful for everything because we can lose it at any time, much like how Lia loses her friends, boyfriend, social status, and her body as well. So be thankful, be greatful, and if you wake up 6 months later in a whole new body with no friends or family to support you, well, best of luck to you.       

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds great! I've never heard of it before. I think I will have to read it. Have you ever read Cinder?

    ReplyDelete